Friday, May 1, 2009

Bed Time

For the first time in 71/2 months I put the kids to bed by myself.

I put the kids to bed by myself.

I put the kids to bed by myself.

I put the kids to bed by myself.

It feels amazing. Aimee is always asking me if I feel empowered by motherhood. I usually say not really. But if she were to ask me tonight I would have to say YES YES YES!! I managed to be home with two infants from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. with no help. I fed them each 4 times. Changed 10 diapers. Bathed them both. Changed 4 outfits. Went on a car ride. Talked to the insurance company for 3 hours. Fed them each oatmeal, or tried. Did their physical therapy exercises. For Zack this means lots of tummy time which he calls torture time. For Kate she has to practice standing flat footed, she is already really into ballet.

Bath time looks something like this.

I hold Kate while we bathe Zack. I run down the hall and put Kate on the floor in Zack's room, I run back to the bathroom and get Zack out of the tub (I know, I know) Really it is 1 second. I lay him on the floor next to Kate while I diaper and dress him and put lots of lotion on his little dry body. Then I undress Kate and run to the bathroom and put her in the bath seat. I run back down the hall and grab Zack who is screaming at this point because he still hasn't grasped the concept that he is a twin and sometimes that means waiting for 3 seconds to be picked up. Off to the bathroom we go to bathe Kate while still holding Zack. When Kate is done we run Zack back down the hall and put him on the floor where he screams while I get Kate out of the bath tub. We dress her and diaper her on the floor while Zack is on my lap. The bottles are made and waiting for us next to their bouncers with a burp clothe near by. The music has started and I only have to stop feeding Zack once to burp Kate. I stop feeding Zack grab Kate put her on my lap grab Zack's bottle start feeding him again and bounce Kate on my knee until she burps, back in her bouncer she goes and Zack barely notices.

I think for their one year birthday party we will have a circus theme.

5 comments:

  1. Love reading all about these first, from your hilarious point of view. I am so impressed. You are one amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. meant firsts. (sleeping through the night, putting them to bed, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is crazy! I have no idea how you do it I am so impressed! I'm thinking pretty soon here you need to start teaching parenting classes I think we can all learn a thing or two from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've officially told God I was just kidding about the twin prayer I've been sending up for years. Thanks for helping Scott's cause to get a singleton.

    Glad you are feeling empowered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. I can't even imagine the experience of having to bathe two babies at once. Getting one through the whole process is tricky enough. You're an amazing woman.
    Eva

    ReplyDelete