Sunday, August 16, 2009

Confessions

Zack and Kate turn 1 here in a couple of weeks and I have had so many thoughts going through my head about this last year. Inparticular confessions of this first time mom. I think motherhood has to be one of the most unnatural things I have ever done. I guess I thought it would come so naturally and that my babies would just tell me how to mother them. This could not be farther from the truth. The first three months of there lives was so bad that I still feel sad when I look back, for them and for us. I had no clue what I was doing. I was TOO tired to do anything but what we were doing even though I knew it wasn't working.

I think I have a whole new appreciation for people who have systems in place that aren't working and they know it but they do it anyway. because. because it is something. anything.

Confession #1 I hate newborns. I didn't know that I did at the time but looking back. i do.

I feel both relieved and sad that I not only feel that way but that I have just admitted to it.

goodnight

4 comments:

  1. yeah, i would ditto your confession except i love how newborns have that distinct smell.. you know you have a toddler when they have morning breath!

    hope you are well.. scott is coming out labor day weekend for a family wedding and hoping to get together with some friends one night. i am sure he will be talking to wade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here, I thought I was the only one. Good to know I have great company around when it comes to hating newborns. That whole "sleeping like a baby" is a load of sh*t!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DO love the smell of infants. Wade loves walking into their rooms at night to check on them because of that baby smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like babies when they get to be about 6 months old and start sitting up and rolling over and crawling. Then their little personalities are becoming more formed. And right now, my Jocelyn is starting to walk and is so proud of herself. I love to watch her. She's 10.5 months right now. I do like this age and stage.

    ReplyDelete